the traveller

My photo
i am a writer with my own style. i laugh a lot especially when i get to write the things i love like my travel, food i devour and tasted, music i ran into and poems connecting me to my soul. I get to write thoughts and reflection of my personal life.

Friday, September 18, 2009

911 Breakfast Buffet

"911 Breakfast Buffet"

written 09-18-09



In the early dawn of September 11, 1980, the fifth baby was born in the family of six. She has round sparkling eyes and fair-colored skin. She was named PILIPINAS MARY C. PALMA with a nickname “Baby Piay/Piai/PI”.


To make the long story short! When I was still a child, even with the meager earnings of my parents, 911 has been a celebration of the family. There’s always a small gathering of family members sharing what was prepared in the table. I always loved having cakes and spaghetti’s of course, I mean, who wouldn’t be with that age. And the best part of it all is the blowing of candles.


But when I started to get older, it seems to me that 911 has become a very personal event of my life, that I become selfish to the extent that I don’t want friends to celebrate it with me. I tend to make 911 a day of personal reflection and recollection to the extent of making me out of reach from family and friends who wanted to wish me all the best in everything. Funny! But it had been my practice for quite sometime now that is, having time alone during 911. Friends surely do not understand what I have become these past few years. Plus, 911 in the year 2001, has turned my life into mourning and grief instead of a celebration because it was also the year when the US was attacked and caused death and injury to many innocent people. But I don’t want to dwell on this part of the story because it will only remind me of the heartless people who have made such a huge destruction to mankind.


Now, back to 911! It was only on my 25th birthday that I again felt that 911 is a family celebration, that’s when my younger brother Thirdie phoned and asked me to come home to Bohol and have a joint birthday celebration with him. I was so amazed and strucked because Thirdie could have celebrated his 22nd birthday ahead of me but he chose to celebrate it with me. It was one among the sweetest gift I could ever have from my siblings, simple yet so full of love. After that day I could always feel the sense of togetherness even when I’m islands away from my family, 911 is indeed a celebration. Although, I prefer to always hibernate on 911. If not because of my family and friends, I wouldn’t celebrate my 26th, 27th and 28th 911.


Now here comes my 29th 911. Yeah! it is definitely sad not to stay sweet 28 forever, where a lot of things had happened during this time of my life. I have become accustomed of just celebrating 911 as normal as it can be. But, come to think of it! 911 come once a year and I couldn’t help but wonder why would I hibernate all throughout the day when I can have it after the celebration. That’s where the 911 breakfast buffet comes in. Usually, I attended mass in the morning to start my 911 with thanksgiving for all the love that God has poured unto me. But, why not start my day with a thanksgiving for the greatest gift of all… THE GIFT OF PERSONS… I would never have become what I am today if not because of the people who have been there for me through moments of celebration and mourning. These people are the ones sent by God, in whatever way they can to bring color to this solitary and wandering life. Of course I could have celebrated my 29th 911 to my hometown and with my family, but I know they will always be here inside my heart wherever I may be. And I’m so blessed for having very loving and thoughtful sisterhoods and brothers who always reminded me of the joy and excitement of celebrating birthdays when we were still kids. Yes! My 29th 911, was full of amazing stories of family and friends physically present or not, who have become part of my journey for the last 28 years, and hopefully for the coming years. A bundle of thanks for all who greeted me in advance and all the belated greetings and gifts, it was a wonderful 29th 911.

1 comment:

ams said...

What a wonderful celebration! I wish I was there and maki kain na rin hehehe. I saw my inahan intawon hehehe, present diay sya sa imo ceebration ha.

Happy Birthday girl! May you have more financial blessings to come your way, good health, happy heart, all the love you deserve to have. May yur wishes will come true.

911 is indeed memorable...