the traveller

My photo
i am a writer with my own style. i laugh a lot especially when i get to write the things i love like my travel, food i devour and tasted, music i ran into and poems connecting me to my soul. I get to write thoughts and reflection of my personal life.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Birthday what’s in it for me?

All done and we are good to celebrate the 2nd birthday of my god son Rob Ethan Velez Lariosa. There’s a lot of good food for the children’s party and of course nothing beats the hotdogs with marshmallows on sticks, spaghetti and the unbeatable chicken drumstick for kids and for adults eyes only.

The theme of the kid’s party is “Barney” with all the colorful balloons and no less than the "Barney cake" that is not only good for the eyes but for its taste as well. And the last but not the least is the main guest of the party, no less than “Barney” mascot himself who not only dance but sings as well.

But guess what excites me most are the games specifically the “Pabitin” game, where small toys, snacks, candies and all sorts were strung in a lattice of bamboo sticks and suspended in the air with a string. Yes, I enjoyed watching those tiny little hands trying to get the goodies strung around the bamboo as the goodies were lowered down. And not only that I could sense all their excitement that at last they got something from it and the achievements they get even if it’s just goodies.

On a serious note, I have read that this game is traditionally played during Santa Cruz de Mayo however it is now played during birthdays and during town fiestas. The game will end when nothing is left in the lattice bamboo.

The game is a direct influence of the Catholicism brought by Spain to the Philippines. It is sometimes called "paagaw" (anything for grabs) and is a special game during Santa Cruz de Mayo, a commemoration of the search for Christ's cross by Saint Helen and her son, Constantine the Great.


Source: http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Pabitin



Personal Photos of piaipipiay

No comments: