the traveller

My photo
i am a writer with my own style. i laugh a lot especially when i get to write the things i love like my travel, food i devour and tasted, music i ran into and poems connecting me to my soul. I get to write thoughts and reflection of my personal life.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bye Bye Cramps!

It was an early dawn that I heard a shout, a shout begging for help to at least ease the pain in her muscles. Admittedly, I heard my own shout in the middle of the night, and sick worried with the indescribable pain in my legs. I was completely awakened in the middle of my happy dream (I mean dreams) to a painful truth that I have muscle cramps not only once but on numerous occasions. I said to myself I had to find means to settle this nightmare (if this was just a nightmare).

Working with the indigenous people in Mindanao had a great effect of my life as a development worker. I get a chance to talk to them in a more personal manner and eventually I made a lot of friends. And while we go to our community, I noticed that one of my colleagues wore something just below his knee and was amazed how it all got there. So I asked him, what it was and where did he get it, he smiled and was glad I asked him. He told me it was called “tikos or leg band” and it is used to at least prevent muscle cramps. I said to myself, this I might try not only because it looks nice when it is worn but also it prevents my nightmares.

Not contented with my colleague’s explanation I search through the internet and I came across a study of the Higaonon Culture and its tribal attires, arts and crafts. The Tikos is an anklet (technically not used for ankle but for the legs) made of beads and “Kulong-kulong” for male Higaonon, placed just below the knee to prevent cramps. And I have seen a lot of variations of tikos made from tikos vine or with the use of beads or made of other wild plants.

I had a chance to talk with my Higaonon friends to make one for me and choose a color for my leg band. I enjoyed wearing it and had a “nightmare free sleep” until it got reaped off my legs for reasons I do not know. So I did try to look for other alternatives and found another one until I have several kinds of leg band in my legs. For several years since I discovered that wearing the tikos, i am cramps free. And now I could no longer hear my own screams because I am still wearing one up until now.

No comments: