the traveller

My photo
i am a writer with my own style. i laugh a lot especially when i get to write the things i love like my travel, food i devour and tasted, music i ran into and poems connecting me to my soul. I get to write thoughts and reflection of my personal life.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

FESTIVITY GALORE

For over nine (9) years of my stay here in Cagayan de Oro City, I have never been able to fully enjoy one of the famous festivity here in the Province of Bukidnon. If you are from Mindanao or at least from the Philippines I am pretty sure you have heard of “Kaamulan Festival”. This festival happens once every year (start during half of February and until March 10 of the same year) in the Province of Bukidnon particularly in Malaybalay City (where the Provincial Capitol is located). As I understand, “Kaamulan” comes from the word “Amul” a local dialect which means to gather, that is a gathering of all the seven (7) tribes in Bukidnon for a purpose, like celebrating a wedding feast, good harvest and a peace pact mixed into one. The tribal people of Bukidnon comprised of the following; Bukidnon, Higaonon, Talaandig, Manobo, Matigsalug, Tigwahanon and Umayamnon.


This year, I had witnessed the celebration with friends and cousins starting off with the street dancing coupled with beautiful float from eight contingents who will be competing with each other. The street dancing showdown was held in the capitol grounds where it was surrounded with thousands of spectator, visitors and guests from all over the Philippines. While watching the street dance we had to stand for several hours just

to see it and Malaybalay City was declared winner of this year’s “s

treet dancing competition”

Part of the yearly activity of the Province is the participation of all the municipalities of Bukidnon and business establishments through the showcasing of all the products and harvests within a particular areas. Booths were arranged all over the capitol grounds where visitors could see and visit, and mostly I enjoyed touring around the areas to look for souvenir and I for one bought some fresh vegetables for salad.

I enjoyed my whole stay in Malaybalay with a warm welcome of Ret. Major Valcaroza and family. And as for me, KAAMULAN is a celebration that I wish to be part of every year.

No comments: